Education Partnerships and Scholarships
Improving public schools and educational programs in our community is one of BRTRC's top priorities. Our efforts focus on preparing the
next generation of leaders and workers through an education partnership with Westlawn Elementary School and annual contributions to local
BRTRC — Westlawn Elementary School Business Partnership
In November 2001, BRTRC entered into a school-business partnership with Westlawn Elementary, a Fairfax County public school in Falls Church,
VA — a partnership that has developed into a very strong and beneficial alliance. Each year BRTRC provides money, in-kind gifts, and
pro-bono services in support of a wide variety of programs at the school such as:
- Principal's Discretionary Fund, which is used to address pressing student needs, including field trip fees, clothing, prescriptions,
and money for teacher/staff incentives throughout the school year.
- Wish Lists fund to buy out-of-teachers'-pockets classroom or enrichment items at the beginning of the school year.
- Welcome back gifts, such as a picnic table for the school's courtyard.
- "I Can Make a Difference" reading incentive program and "Adopt-a-Book" fairs held each spring and fall to encourage reading and ensure
that needy children own books.
Hats & Mittens drive to provide clothing to needy students.
- Annual Sixth Grade Essay Contest and end-of-year celebration.
- MentorWorks program for which BRTRC employees serve as volunteer mentors to students.
- Student visits – as part of career education for students, student council officers visit BRTRC's Tysons offices for an introduction
to the world of work by job shadowing BRTRC employees each February.
- Art book donation to the school's library in honor of students whose art is displayed in our Tysons headquarters' hallway art galleries
- Summer School Supply Drive to provide basic school supplies for needy students and restock supply closets.
- Monthly $50 gift drawings for teachers and staff to encourage creative lessons and learning.
- Holiday Card Design Contest open to students from grades 4 to 5.
In recognition of the many successes from this partnership, Fairfax County Public Schools selected BRTRC as Business Partner of the Year in 2012. BRTRC also received this award in 2003. The Career Connection award was presented to BRTRC in 2004.